Skippy and Miss Piggy

Skippy and Miss Piggy

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Let the Games Begin

Missy Cobb and Olga, Jungle Jim's girlfriend, came over for lunch yesterday and to learn to play Mah Jong. Pam was going to come but got a better offer to go to her favorite snorkeling place with a good friend from out of town. Lucky she felt guilty cause she was able to suplement our meager larder with milk and beer. Plus she brought some juicy fresh pineapple down.
I think it was lucky Pam didn't come because she was doing it to be friendly. She's not really a game player nor is she competitive. Andy calls her Saint Pam. She couldn't be sweeter about sharing with us, not only information, but loaning us dining chairs, vacuum cleaner, lamps, bikes, towels, etc. She and Ray even had Blake and Anna over for dinner.
Olga plays Mah Jong on line, but it is a matching game involving no strategy. So she was familiar with the game pieces, fortunately, because Missy got it instantly. Missy lept ahead five steps for every one I was teaching. Olga first language is not English and as she put it, "Sometimes I look like I don't get a thing you are saying, and I don't." By the end of a couple of hours we played a full, real game from the cards. Olga got Mah Jong, which was nice because Missy had won the first 2 ersatz games. Missy took ages with many turns because she was trying to play more than one possibility at a time, which is a very complicated and advanced strategy. Talk about competitive.
We have scheduled again for next Tuesday so they'll be able to take on Libby when she arrives in early February.
Libby, I told them it is a betting game. And they both liked that, so be prepared. Especially because the coins here are big and heavy. And guess what, Bobbi used to play Mah Jong here. She doesn't have time anymore, but maybe we can snag her once or twice.
On the bridge front, another of Bobbi's friends invited me to play duplicate bridge on Friday. That is a first for me. I have been taking lessons, playing up to 8 hands in 2 hours. This league plays 21 hands! My partner is supposed to be an unconventional player which is probably good because I don't know all the conventions yet. I am studying and praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment