Skippy and Miss Piggy

Skippy and Miss Piggy

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Byron Foster Dog


We went out to dinner the night Byron arrived. Tom cooked a perfect turkey, Jim and Missy Cobb gave us a ride up the mountian and I brought deviled eggs, which the Cobbs think must be genetically part of the Jones clan. After watching another magnificent sunset and snuggling with the 40 pound lap dogs and 30 pound cats, we were chaufferred home.
Andy caught a glimpse of Byron skulking away. And in the morning he was nowhere to be found. Finally around 11 AM.. which is the beginning of the hottest part of the day here, I tossed his leftover devilled eggs, turkey bones and string beans on the compost heap. Moments later, Byron trotted onto the lanai from the direction of the compost pile, which showed no signs of what I had just contributed.
He was willing to be stroked, but slept at the edges of the living areas.
Turns out he is a very picky eater. No matter how well I mix the tuna fish, anchovies or canned dog food with the kibble, he manages to eat only the additives. He even left half the can of dog food. So fattening him up will be an expensive proposition. He does love cheese, taco chips (which Blake and Anna left) and any kind of fish. We tried to get him to follow us out to breakfast at the Gilded Iguana yesterday morning, but he preferred to stay home.
We went to use the internet there for my IPod. It worked and I got a free app, Translator. I used it to order poached eggs, which I cannot remember still for the life of me. I also asked the waiter if they had any scraps for our dog. He very nicely took my wadded up bacon fat to add to what else he could find, so I thought. After we paid the bill, I asked in perfect Spanish, reading from my IPod, for the leftovers for the dog. The young man brought me the little wad of bacon fat, for which I thanked him profusely. Wonder what the hell he thought I was asking and doing?
Later that afternoon, we went exploring to find the business center to see if they had a battery charger for my camera. Byron decided to follow us, tempted mostly by the chips I think. Though we did fail in the battery department, we did find the Frog Pad, which has tons of books available. We browsed a bit and came away with only a few free magazines and one free book about money sense. We dropped our cache at home and headed to the beach for sunset. Byron accompanied us and the bag of chips to the beach.
We met up with Pam and Ray and their 6 year old granddaughter Kaya, who went swimming with me. Byron came to the edge of the water, but retreated back up to Andy and the others. Byron was a little reluctant to follow back up the path to home, but did eat the other half of the dog food when served. He then disappeared for the night we thought.
We woke up around 1AM to some animal rumblings, which turned out to be Byron, asleep under the window which is our headboard. He was on the velvet curtain he had refused up until then, preferring cement or dirt to lie on. He is still there, ignoring 3 or 4 dogs who have trotted by already this morning (I know because I keep hearing their collars jangling).
What shall I serve him for breakfast? Our last can of tuna or shall I go to the store for another can of dogfood?
On Monday Bobbi is going to Nicoya and taking us along. We will put cases of Pedigree on our list and score it for far less than at the MiniMarket here.
The howlers are calling and the sun is rising. Till later.

No comments:

Post a Comment