Skippy and Miss Piggy

Skippy and Miss Piggy

Monday, April 13, 2015

Maureen's other breast is fine.

Thank god! I am thrilled for her.
I did happen to meet another recipient of one of Vinny's famous nipples, which Stacy calls her Titty-Tat.
Stacy Frey is a newscaster and morning show host on the local Fox station in Cleveland Ohio. She's an amazing friend of Bobbi's beloved in-laws, whose wonderful 20-year-old son died. We met in Columbus, Ohio at the funeral.
Stacey noticed a wrinkle in her breast and immediately went to her first mammogram in her early 40s. It was a lump that required a lumpectomy, but she chose to have a mastectomy and remove the whole breast. Of course she wanted to share her story on air and documented her journey. Not sure how she found Vinny in Baltimore when she's based in Cleveland, but so she did. Her nipple is as exquisite as is Maureen's. Vinny did a little touch up on her other nipple which had gotten a little stretched out of shape when she added a little volume to that breast.
Did I mention that Vinny is the artist who did Maureen's originally? He is a true tattoo artist and was getting a little tired of doing only nipples and announced his retirement. Not half an hour later his sister called to say that she had just been diagnosed with breast cancer. Cancel that retirement letter. Nipple art seems to be my destiny. He travels around the world to do his magic on women everywhere.
Maureen had her reconstruction during the mastectomy. It required a tummy-tuck, removing the fat that would be used in the breast. Stacy had her breast removed and had sacks inserted at that time, one in each breast. Those sacks required filling and gradual stretching of the skin, quite a painful process. Stacey had no chemo nor radiation.
Erica was my visiting nurse, who came to see me at least eight times post surgery, was a great comfort. She took my vital signs every time and commented on how well everything was healing. She agreed with me that it sounded like I had the best of all possible reconstructions available. No skin stretching. Tell me talk.  No multiple procedures.
As happy as I was originally with the reconstructed breasts, I am no longer as thrilled. I might've made a mistake at the plastic surgeons after he told me I didn't ever need to wear a bra again, of throwing away the support contraption issued by him. My boobs were certainly tired out within two days. Those muscles weren't  ready to support all that weight. And Stacy taught me something horrible I can do with my muscles holding up my boobs.
Back in Cleveland playing baggers whist with just us girls, Judy and Jane, we had lots of giggles over my dancing breasts. I bolted town before the final packing of  the moving van and came home to rest up for my next round of chemo.
I was feeling quite anxious about it really because of the nausea factor and it being the more intense AC treatment. But my nurse George said that his goal was to have me feel no nausea. And I have not, neither at the onset of the injections nor the following 48 hours.
Becky came to town yesterday, my birthday, and drove me immediately to MGH for neo-something injection.  I was supposed to be able to do it at home, but that would've cost me $4000, where as going to the hospital was covered by my insurance. We took the time to find the healing Garden which is just absolutely beautiful and can be used both in the winter and in the summer at MGH. We did get home a little later than planned and George and Katie and her sister Michelle had already arrived for 3 o'clock lunch. I don't think we ate until after five. Beckett prepare and the most magnificent and beautiful meal 98% of which George could eat. Who would've ever dreamt that beans and onions would look so beautiful in a nest of kale. And the pixie nectarines were  to die for and the pickled onions were heavenly.
The kids brought me a wonderful plant with it's own Little Blossom already poking out. Becky brought a treasure trove of goodies including a six pack of toilet paper, which my friend Andrea will be thrilled to hear about.
After the kids left and Andy dozed off Becky and I played gin rummy for an hour or so, the end of a perfect day for me.
Though I'm missed a few birthday calls, I did talk to a number of people yesterday.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment