Skippy and Miss Piggy

Skippy and Miss Piggy

Friday, April 24, 2015

I Relived

Definition is complicated, mostly I lived through another operation.
Mom would've definitely defended that word. In Scrabble she once used re-fart, saying if you could do it once, you could redo it. She, who always claimed she never farted, no really. She had very specific rules about any game she played, suited to her need at any moment. I never played Scrabble with her. Not only was she a little too competitive for my delicate little self, but she was brilliant at making multiple words, in many directions, with the insertion of one Tile.  And those damned 2 letter words. Dad and Mom played Scrabble often. Becky played against Mom often. But it wasn't really that I was too delicate a soul, it was that I was far too competitive and combative to deal with her foibles.
Actually one of the proudest days of my Scrabble life came after Mom died. For my 60th birthday Dad took me to Churchill, Manitoba to see the polar bears. One cocktail hour, we played a game of Scrabble on the table between our beds, while watching an Eskimo ceremony in the cold courtyard. I beat him. He didn't mind a bit and we discussed no rules and made no challenges. Turns out, Scrabble is a fun game.
Reminds me of the time I beat my first father-in-law in chess. That did not go nearly as well.
BTW, this surgery was much less demanding the double mastectomy. I had been cruising along pretty well, until I looked at the site in the mirror. The pain tripled instantly. Lucky I had another pain pill available.

No comments:

Post a Comment