Skippy and Miss Piggy

Skippy and Miss Piggy

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Today was one of the best days of my life

It's just not ending all that well. I spent the day with Demi and Paula, two of my dearest friends from Wells.  Huge bonus was seeing Paula's son Jon and his son Daniel. A cracked windshield lead to Jon volunteering to chaufeur his mom to our date. It felt so wonderful to hold a baby again. I brought a croissant doughnut from Dunkin' Donuts, betting cash money, that neither paula nor Demi would know what it was. I was correct, but of course, Jon knew and blurted out Cronut.
I complained about it costing $2.50 and he told us that in Brooklyn the original Cronut costs over $8 apiece, and there are lines of people around the block waiting to buy them.
We toured West Concord where Demi and Rob are planning to move temporarily. What an up-and-coming, hip community. Great lunch overlooking river, followed by tour of artful stone masonry and custom boat and tiny house builders (I have a Pinterest section called tiny houses, but I think our experiment in that department has pretty much failed. My goal was to have the slate clean and empty space. But we are failures. We apparently need a junk room to throw all the crap when somebody comes over.)
Went back to Demi's and played beggars whist for a few hours with lots of conversation and laughs. Twas rush-hour by the time I left so I drove through my old town of Weston and dropped in on Sue, whom I had not seen a number of years. We were both thrilled by our reunion, once she realized who that tall bald guy in her garden was.  Then I drove by Alric and his wife, another Sue jogging with their puggles, but had no chance to stop and say hi to another set of neglected beloveds. Toured the outside of the new elementary school. Then I skulked into the old folks home (I didn't want the evil manager to see me) to visit Frank, whom I wasn't completely convinced remembered who I am.
Picked up our favorite Chinese, called Andy to tell him I was still alive and was bringing dinner home, all good news as far as he was concerned.
Then I asked him if my right breast looked red and swollen. we debated that and photographed it and talked to the plastic surgeon on call, emailed the photos  and finally made it into Mass General emergency room. Bottom line, I'm having the right breast implant removed at the crack of dawn. That means more drains, no cat, probably a delay in my chemo. I'm second-guessing myself slightly, as I was in the same emergency room for pain in my chest on Monday night. Then I missed my Wednesday appointment with my GP. Maybe he could've caught it earlier and killed the infection.
Delaying the chemo may actually work out for the better in terms of my 50th high school reunion! It's booked for May 14-17. Fingers crossed.
Otherwise a perfect day, one of the highlights of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment