Skippy and Miss Piggy

Skippy and Miss Piggy

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Dexter and I got two parakeets

When the kids were young, we had a little Flockette of birds, which flew around freely inside. One lovebird just loved perching on Macci's glasses.  One got shut in a kitchen drawer for a while. Fortunately we heard her and got her out. Every once in a while I run across and chewed book cover and have a warm feeling.
We visited a bird breeder in Florida who happened to be great uncle Chuck and aunt Janet's gardener.  I think Elizabeth was her name and she and her boyfriend raised birds and bonsai's. The only problem with their business was that they were not willing to sell the birds. We were very fortunate that she trusted us and shipped a very rare bird, I think it was a Sun Conure, to Blake.
One of the most tragic incidences in my life was the day Grey died.  Grey was a wonderful cockatiel. Blake reached me on the phone as I was boarding a plane home from burying great aunt Janet. I had been fortunate enough to be able to say goodbye to her at the hospital and spend several days holding Chuck's hand, making it through the cremation and service and sobbing.
When Blake told me that Grey was dead, I didn't know who he was talking about. But once I grasped the situation and the depth of his pain, I had to tell someone. So a very wonderful stewardess heard my tale of woe and brought me boxes of Kleenex.
Eventually we merged our little flock with the Reynolds' birds, at their house. The birds must've most enjoyed showering with the girls.
Truth be told, Andy was not nearly as enamored with the birds as the kids and I were. Their poop bothered him more than us. And he didn't really like their talking all the time.  So he was never very receptive to my suggestion that we start a new flock, just one bird, please.
But now that he is moving to South Carolina, he won't be bothered.
First, before buying anything, I checked with the  Reynolds to see if they had any unwanted adoptees.  Birds live a long time. Parrots can live up to 125 years and parakeets up to 20 years. So I thought maybe we could get one of our beloved's back, to no avail. The bird vet in Littleton listed no bird in need of a new home.
So Dexter and I went to the Petco where we know the employees are experts and animal lovers.
We chose the two parakeets that acted least afraid as Dexter did everything in his power to scratch through that glass tower.  I named the pure white one Cloud, after my grandfather, and the bright yellow green one Sunshine, which my beloved great aunt Janet used to call me. 
The next morning I took off the cover and I said, "good morning Sunshine," and a memory popped into my mind. My mother used to wake me up I saying, "Good morning Sunshine" in her cheeriest voice ever.  Of course it drove me wild every time she did it, but yesterday I felt connected to her once again, with love and tears.
So I changed Cloud's name to Mooncloud because I want to be able to also say, "Good Night Moon."

No comments:

Post a Comment