Skippy and Miss Piggy

Skippy and Miss Piggy

Saturday, November 8, 2014

A room with a view

Andy is driving me to my first chemo session at MGH. Many people have told me to choose a color to ask you all to envision and some sort of an amulet. A gold arrow bounced into my mind, followed by gold spears and acupuncture needles. Odd that all of those ancient tools popped up when I'm going to the 21st-century bastion of science and medicine. We had a long day with more mammograms, blood tests, eating and wig fitting before beginning chemo this afternoon. We got the Primo room overlooking the Charles River, Cambridge, downtown Boston, the Citgo sign in the Fenway. The sky was magnificent studded with fabulous clouds which made for a great sunset. First session was about six hours long because there were periods of observation after the drugs were administered. The first two drugs are proteins to combat the positive her2 receptor. The third is called Taxol and required pre-doses of a histamine, a steroid and a something else. I did not get any of the dreaded instant reactions of breathlessness, aching back or flushing of the skin.
I tolerated them all very well. I was a little nervous at one point because I got quite cold and drowsy but bounced back after that. For the next two Fridays I will get additional doses of taxol.
Andy and I were so happy when Becky, Blake and George visited me.
The nurse I will have for the next 12 weeks also happens to be named George, which may be a little confusing at times. He couldn't of been more enthusiastic, supportive and informative.


No comments:

Post a Comment