Skippy and Miss Piggy

Skippy and Miss Piggy

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Dad's Friends

Dad told me he had 92 friends who died last year!
I quoted the Cleveland Playhouse and Harvard Business School and Michelle to show some of the breadth of his reach. Wait till you hear about his Play Reading Group. A couple of significant memories of mine include building a radio with him and my sisters. He was Google decades before there was a Google, accompanied by wonderful sketches. He and my mom had the talk with me, telling me how good it would feel when a boy touched my breasts and what a difficult decision I would have to make, over and over again. For my 16th birthday, dad wrote me  20 pages, handwritten, of his thoughts about life and leading a good one. It was he I went to in times of crisis, having to do with school, honesty, health, finances or personal relationships. Sometimes it was really hard because he never got angry. Disappointment was a much more devastating reaction when I let down his high expectations of me. And logic was a very strong hand he played often, telling me it was safer to dive with the sharks than to cross the streets.
A couple of times in my life I was terrified that dad was at the end of his life. But he kept on going for an extra 20 or 30 years. I know it's pretty selfish for a nearly 70-year-old woman to be sad that she is an orphan. But the touchstone of my life is now gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment