Skippy and Miss Piggy

Skippy and Miss Piggy

Monday, February 1, 2010

Moonlight Blues

Pam and Ray got the use of their shared car and invited us to go to Garza for the Sunday BBQ on the beach to hear Ray play his harmonica. Beginning to suspect that the car actually never works. Ryan advised me not to photograph the situation, but I was optimistic and caught the unfolding drama, see right. Unfortunately, I did not get a shot of Andy pushing along with the rest of us. Jumping ahead to returning home, I thought Ray had gotten the car started, watched him turn around to pick us up and stuck my thumb out for a ride, wearing a stupid grin. That car laid some rubber (if that had only been possible) and left me in the dust.
As I watched it disappear, I spotted Ray walking back from his dead mobile. I have created yet another embarrassing moment.
Despite the delay, we made it for the sunset. The light and sky were beyond my words, making me evermore in awe of the truly great authors. The display lasted for well over an hour, luxurious.
Once darkness had settled, the pre-constructed bonfire was lit. I thought it was too close to a couple of the trees, but it seemed fine.
Typically tropical, one of the band members had to go home for a moment, so the 7 o'clock start for delayed, for who knows how long. The wait for the show was punctuated by the arrival of families, dogs and horseback riders, all arriving for the feast

Carlos, his wife and staff managed to maneuver through the dogs and kids to serve everyone. And the band finally got going. Jungle Joe is the lead guitar and singer. Juan is Argentina and plays of the 12 sting guitar. Ray is the harmonica player. They are very talented. Great bluesy interpretation of many familiar tunes, some by Grateful Dead and Jimmy Buffet.

The velvet air and rising moon were exquisite. The horseback riders were taking advantage of the light and low tide to ride along the beach after dinner. Shortly after I overheard, "Bobbi Johnson's sister", one of the equestrians, Linda, came over to introduce herself. I told her how I wished I could be part of her group, but that a one night stand wouldn't be worth the sore butt. I hope I heard her suggesting she could use me to exercise her horses. Building up to a moonlight ride would be heavenly.
We old folks tried to jump start the car a couple of times, accompanied by some young fathers offering advise. Those young men finally pushed us aside and showed us how to do it. I defended ourselves by telling them about 67 year old Andy's recent back operation. Our friendship with Pam and Ray was further cemented. Being outside at night is something I would like to spend more time doing.



No comments:

Post a Comment