Skippy and Miss Piggy

Skippy and Miss Piggy

Monday, January 2, 2012

Why Does The Garden of Eden Need More Plants?


My main complaint about our casita is that it looks directly at Surfo Juan's. In fact, all the landscaping directs the eye toward Juan's place. Even though his house is 60 yards or so away, it pops out at me.
So I bought a lipstick palm, which will grow to 9 meters tall, eventually blocking out Juan's house. The palm is multi-stemmed and red trunked. It is flourishing, but Howie just told me it is very slow growing. It doesn't really matter to me, because I see it as it will be.
That is one of my handicaps. Especially in the decorating department. I don't see the mess of my unfinished projects. I just see the results in my mind's eye.
The casita's front yard is the gravel driveway (I have been watering the grassy parts and the gravel to try to make the whole thing grassy). So I have bought pots, soil and plants to bring the garden up closer to the house. The red and yellow hibiscus are to attract butterflies and hummingbirds. The bouganvilla to shade the porch from the afternoon sun. The plumbago to satisfy my love for that gorgeous blue. Then there is the creeping flowering thing for the pink and some bird of paradise things for the exotic touch. A couple of mini and regular mimosa trees to see if I can get their fabulous pink, yellow and red flowers closer to me.
All the plants from the nursery are far cheaper than the dirt I've bought. They come in tiny plastic bags packed tightly with dirt. The bags are black and holey. If left lying around. they will root and grow.
I have also gotten plants from bridge friends. Alice and Mike have the most beautiful, delicate ground cover that I am trying to get to cover the area beyond the driveway. Greg Smith gave Alice and Mike a variegated spikey plant, one piece of which was not put in the ground, so I stuck it here. Another Mother-in-law type plant came my way from someone and it is trying take hold too.
I bought a red-leafed plant that is abundant here because I wanted to make a better design than the gardener did. Lili told me I can plant anything I want.
But that transplanting now was not possible. We'll see when I get some traditional palm trees from Beverly and some fringe palms from Alice and Mike in the next few weeks. I'll put the fringe palms beyond the lipstick palm for further coverage of Juan's house. It grows very fast.
Put a sprouted coconut in the ground and a pineapple top, which doesn't look too happy.
We throw all the vegetable matter into the jungle. Maybe a mango will sprout or an avocado tree. Happens all the time at Bobbi's mountain house.

No comments:

Post a Comment