Skippy and Miss Piggy

Skippy and Miss Piggy

Friday, March 26, 2010

Down for the Count

Last6 meal with Sandra and Rourke. They are closing Jungle Java tomorrow. Guess they will miss Andy too much to stand another day in the trenches. More tears as we said another good-bye. But they want us to go sailing for a week on their new boat!

We also said good-bye to Byron this morning. Sarah Foster piled all his worldly goods onto her quad, then threw him across her lap for the long journey back to where he was saved. She is going to try to nurse him back to health.

Of course, my camera did not work so I went back for a quick photo this morning. Yanked Lesley off the surrogate, so I could hang her upside down. More tears.








Maybe it just feels that way.
Wednesday, I played bridge at Marlin Bill's. An hour or so after lunch, I felt sweaty and woosey. A few minutes later, I heaved my lunch over the railing, fearing the enclosure of the bathroom. I was able to stand the bathroom for the next expulsion. Finally Andy arrived in the Olson's car. He had Howie with him. The poor guys were met by a desparate me, who puked again in the lot as I tried to get into the car.
They were able to get me to the couch, where I lost it again. Andy consulted with Dr. Katia, who felt it was not a relapse, but a new ailment. He went to get the prescribed Pepto Bismol and electrolytes. I begged him not to force me to take the pink junk. But he and Howie coaxed me into a full dose, which I immediately rejected. Another trip to get chamomille tea and a dose of that before trying the pink junk again. Another call to the Dr. and a few more of this and thats and I finally fell asleep for the night.
During the evening, Andy read to me an e-mail from Sarah Foster with devastating news about Byron. He does have the dreaded disease, which he must have gotten by eating a calf or fetus or placenta. The Costa Rican vet recommends putting him down. Sarah is still hoping that the American vet who has a place here can think of something to save this wonderful soul. Byron seems very thrilled to be alive and has even regained some appetite, though he looks like a starving mongrol. Bobbi asked Tom if they could keep him, but he felt 3 dogs and 7 cats was enough. Pam and Ray are not sure they could handle the responsibility of trying to keep him alive. Sarah will take him. I asked to be present when he gets put down, but we are still in limbo.
We had a last supper with Pam, Ray and Kaya and another one with Rork and Sandra.
Tomorrow is my last day with the baby monkeys. I hope to get a few photos of them playing on my arms and climbing on my glasses. My damn camera is very tempermental, so I am praying. Also, we are taking Howie to a last lunch. What a sweet friend he has become.
Hard to say good-bye to so many new friends, some of whom won't be here next year.
We are excited to be going home to family and friends. We are sorry we are missing George's first rugby game tomorrow, but look forward to many more this spring. Grayson's 3rd birthday is coming up, as are George and Blake's graduations. I am graduating, too, from my obligations at the MFA. My trip coincides with Blake's celebration in DC.

No comments:

Post a Comment